Find the answer to your Linux question:
In my Manjaro installs both kernel 3.10 and upgrading to 3.12 still allows my bluetooth adapter to work just fine. Move to kernel 3.13 or higher and no bluetooth. Just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why do kernels newer then 3.12 not work with my Bluetooth adapter?

In my Manjaro installs both kernel 3.10 and upgrading to 3.12 still allows my bluetooth adapter to work just fine. Move to kernel 3.13 or higher and no bluetooth. Just dd an Antergos install today with kernel 3.15, same deal, no bluetooth. So why and how does the kernel effect bluetooth and why would an older kernel like 3.12 work fine but moving to 3.13 or newer stop bluetooth from working?
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It may be that the kernel driver required for your BT gear is not yet compatible with the newer kernels. That would be my best guess. Any reason not to stay with 3.12 kernel for now? 3.13 and later are still barely ready for prime time... They may be stable, but not all drivers may be updated yet to work with them.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

And riddle me this, why does kernel 3.15 give me bluetooth support on my #1 laptop but anything newer then 3.12 and I lose support on my #2? Both laptops are HP/Compaq NC6400's, both have the same HP bluetooth adapter and both are running Manjaro/Xfce. Linux can be really crazy sometimes. LOL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, so now figure this one out.
    Running Manjaro Xfce and GNOME. With both using kernel 3.12 I have bluetooth support but if I upgrade from 3.12 to 3.15 I lose bluetooth support. Now here's the crazy part. If I install kernel 3.10 (where I still have bluetooth support) then upgrade to kernel 3.15 I still have bluetooth support. I have no clue as to why this is. Do you have any idea why moving from 3.10 to 3.15 keeps bluetooth support working but going from 3.12 to 3.15 doesn't?

Linux Newbie
    That's the main reason I left Manjaro pretty quickly - strange things would happen during upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    That's the main reason I left Manjaro pretty quickly - strange things would happen during upgrades...
    I think you could even apply that with a broader stroke and say that it's an Arch Thing even more then just a Manjaro thing.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

• The problem with being on bleeding edge is that sometimes it bleeds.
    • The good thing about being on the bleeding edge is speed at which the wounds are sewn up.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Manjaro really isn't "bleeding edge" since Stable gets updates about 3 weeks after Arch Stable gets em' and even in Testing it's a few days lag between Arch Stable and Manjaro updates. Now if I were running Manjaro Unstable then I'd be on the same time table as Arch Stable so that's more "bleeding edge" I guess.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    And this is why I continue to run RHEL compatible systems. Older, but reliable! That and $5 will get you a nice latte at StarJunk! I'm about to start testing CentOS 7.0 - we'll soon see how reliable it is!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!