Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wasn't sure whether to post it in here or on the laptops forum, but here we go anyway. I have Slackware 10 on my laptop and successfully run the default ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2.6.7 problem

Wasn't sure whether to post it in here or on the laptops forum, but here we go anyway.

I have Slackware 10 on my laptop and successfully run the default 2.4.26 kernel on it. I added the 2.6.7 version from the /testing folder on the CDs and when I use that mp3 files skip, programs freeze and the mouse arrow jumps all over the screen. I have to end up restarting to get anywhere. The funny thing is when I switch to 2.4.26 everything works fine.

Another interesting thing is that the 2.6.7 kernel works fine on my tower and has really improved certain aspects. Can anyone help?

That's odd. Make sure that you didn't compile that kernel with some insane optimizations or something like that, cos anything over -02 on gcc can start to have problems with the machine code. Also, make sure that any modules for your system that you needed are either compiled into the kernel, or are compiled as modules, and correctly modprobe'd. Do you have any obscure hardware on the laptop?
    -lakerdonald

The 2.6.7 kernel provided with Slackware works fine if you have the right hardware. But the 2.6.10 kernel is better than other 2.6 kernels, you could apply the AS or AC patch for it for better stability .

So why not compile yourr own 2.6.10 kernel ? You'll have to update your udev to fix certain problems as well if you decide to upgrade.
    I\'m so tired .....