Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using White Box Enterprise Linux (which is compiled using the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 source). It comes with the 2.4 kernel. I decided to upgrade to the 2.6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with modules from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel

I'm using White Box Enterprise Linux (which is compiled using the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 source). It comes with the 2.4 kernel. I decided to upgrade to the 2.6 kernel. I edited the kernel script, compiled it, etc. but when it booted a good portion of the modules didn't load. Here's everything I did:

make xconfig (edited it and saved it)
    make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install
    cp <linux source>/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.9-selinux1
    cp <linux source>/System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.9-selinux
    rm /boot/System.map
    ln -s /boot/System.map-2.6.9-selinux1 /boot/System.map
    //Edited the grub.conf file

I compiled ext3 support into the kernel and everything else I needed to boot so I didn't need an initrd, I even compiled fat32 support into the kernel and that didn't work once I booted up the system. I heard that I needed to install something called modules-init-tools before I did the kernel upgrade however I didn't, do I need this? Also why wouldn't fat32 work when I built it into the kernel? I also heard you needed to load modules you want to boot with in the system in /etc/modules.autoload.d/<kernel version> However I don't have an /etc/modules.autoload.d folder even in my default system. Since this is technically a Red Hat system does Red Hat store this info somewhere else because I would assume I'd have a 2.4 file from the old kernel if not. I just have an /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modules.conf~ file.

Linux Engineer
    With 2.6 kernels you should be using the new module tools which can be obtained from here
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty

Just Joined!

Thank you I'm checking them now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

module queries to install

I am also facing the same problem of compiling 2.6.9 in RedHat 8.0 (2.4.1. I have to patch all the patch file or how many files i have to patch. Please suggest me

thanking you in advance

regards
    bhaban

mcm
    Just Joined!
    If you are using a Distro that originally uses 2.4.X kernels, to upgrade it to a 2.6.X kernel, you should also upgrade:

1) Gcc and it's components (because to compile the new kernel, you need a new gcc, and some of it's new features);

2) Upgrade modules tools as well (modprobe, insmode and family)...

I guess that's it. I'm not sure if you have to upgrade anything else.

Included with the kernel source of 2.6 is a document called Changes and is located in the Documentation directory. It contains a list of minimum requirements to run a 2.6 kernel.
    I\'m so tired .....