Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i AM RUNNING dEBIAN wOODY, i AM TRYING TO compile/install kernel 2.6.10. I am at the stage where I need to move the downloaded kernel (2.6.10.tar.gz) to the usr/src dir.. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

COMPILING KERNEL 2.6.10, help!!!!

i AM RUNNING dEBIAN wOODY, i AM TRYING TO compile/install kernel 2.6.10. I am at the stage where I need to move the downloaded kernel (2.6.10.tar.gz) to the usr/src dir.. but keep getting message "missing file argument". I downloaded the kernel using Windows XP as I have a dual boot with deb woody. Then I burned the kernel to CD-R and am trying to get it to the /usr/src dir... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Jst
    Just Joined!
    I've also got some problems with this, I try'd allot of tutorials. But everytime I reboot after installing.. It doesnt work anymore :P. It has happend 2 times now, so I decided to call in some help.

I have 2.2.20-idepci kernel now.

These are some steps I followed the last time:
    First I downloaded kernel-source-2.6.10, then I unpacked it in /usr/src/, used the command: ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10 /usr/src/linux to make a shortcut. Then I went to /usr/src/linux and entered "make menuconfig" everything worked fine, a nice menu showed up.. Then I exited and it asked if I want to use this config, I answered yes. Then it did some compiling, after that I used the command "make-kpkg kernel_image" after it was done, it showed up a kernel-image-2.6.10.Custom_i386.deb (something like that), Then I entered "dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.10.Custom_i386.deb" and it gave me a warning that it already excisted (or something like that, in /etc/modules/2.6.10) and if I wanted to abort, I pressed no because I already restarted the comp and it was still 2.2.20-idepci, so after that it started installing some thing, I restarted my comp.. And it dindt work anymore, I did made a bootdisk, but I decided to re´nstall my comp to start with a complete new an unconfigured system, so there couldnt be any problems with the config. The error I got was that he couldnt find root filesystem anymore (with the kernel panic in front of it), it seemed like a pretty serious error.

Forgive if that was a stupid thing to do, im not very expreienced with linux yet.

Well, Im going to try to re´nstall the kernel-source-2.6.10 again, but I could use a little help.

Tnx in advance
    Jst.

Linux Engineer
    Here's a quick set of instructions to install a new kernel:
    1. Unpack the tarball into /usr/src or wherever. cd to /usr/src, then go like this:
    'tar xzvf /path/to/kernel/linux-2.6.10.tar.gz'
    or use tar xjvf for .tar.bz2
    2. cd into the newly created directory, linux-2.6.10. DO NOT SYMLINK /usr/src/linux. Don't touch that symlink, in most cases this MUST be the version libc was compiled against, and certain other things too. I won't go into details now.
    3. Read and understand the README, and read whatever seems pertinent in the Documentation directory.
    4. Be sure you have a clean tree with 'make mrproper'.
    5. Config the kernel. Do either 'make menuconfig' for console, or 'make xconfig' or 'make gconfig' for gui.
    6. Compile the kernel. Run 'make'.
    7. Install the modules with 'make modules_install'. Don't bother with 'make install', this is more trouble than it's worth.
    8. Copy the kernel from arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot 'cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-2.6.10'. If you're not on x86 hardware, the i386 part of that directory will be different.
    9. Copy the new System.map to /boot 'cp System.map /boot'
    10. Add the new kernel to /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst or whatever config file your bootloader uses
    11. Reboot and see if it works, if not start again from step 5.

Linux Engineer
    Oh I forgot to add you should get the new module init tools so your modules will work correctly.
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/

Jst
    Just Joined!
    I'm using Debian, so I wont be using the linux-x.x.xx package.. But ill try these steps..

Tnx
    Jst.

Linux Engineer
    You should always use the linux-x.x.xx package. Don't trust a kernel tarball from any other place except http://kernel.org. I don't even trust kernels from distros.

Jst
    Just Joined!
    Are u sure because the official www.debian.nl site also indicates that u have to use kernel-source-2.6.10 when I add it to my sources.list..

Jst.

Linux Engineer
    I know nothing of debian or this sources list. I do know that the official linux kernel is at kernel.org.

Jst
    Just Joined!
    How do I add the kernel to my lilo.conf in step 10?

Jst.

Jst
    Just Joined!
    I know how to open it, but what do I have to add in the lilo.conf?

Jst.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast