Find the answer to your Linux question:
How could I make my own kernel to use? Maybe a better question would be: Can I edit a kernel. Reasons for doing so would be to keep it up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How would I go about making my own Kernel?

How could I make my own kernel to use? Maybe a better question would be: Can I edit a kernel. Reasons for doing so would be to keep it up to date and to fool around. Is this a good idea? Is there a lot of risk involved? Is it really hard to do? How would I write my own kernel? I saw in the Slack install that there was an option to load a kernel off a floppy disk. This really interests me, can I somehow download the up to date kernel and put it on the floppy disk to use on my favorite distro? I use Slack 10 and for some reason 10.1 really bugged me but it has a newer kernel. Thanks for any help/advice.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!
    For starters, you would probably need experience in programming

I think you want to upgrade your kernel to a newer version and configure it yourself. Slackware 10 is kernel 2.6 ready except for one thing, udev. You will have to upgrade udev if you want to use a recent 2.6 kernel.

Configuring a working kernel can be difficult when you do it the first time, but it has a nice interface with help. Be sure to not overwrite your running kernel and create an extra boot option for your new kernel. That way you can revert to the situation that was working and try again

Better look for a good kernel 2.6 compiling tutorial / HOWTO.
    I\'m so tired .....