Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to call some functions of a user space program from a kernel module. I cannot obviously put the code of the user space program in the kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Call User-space Program function from Kernel Module

Hi,
    I want to call some functions of a user space program from a kernel module. I cannot obviously put the code of the user space program in the kernel module as I dont have the libraries for that in the kernel space. So can anyone tell me how to be able to call user space programs, or link to them through kernel modules?

Thanks a lot
    Shivanu

Just Joined!
    You can write a small plication in user space that call the function and retun to the kernel module.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x848.html

afrolinux

Just Joined!
    Hi
    You can write a function in user space which will call the function in kernal by passing the address of the function(using function pointer) provided that the function in kernal has one of its arguments as a function pointer.

Thanks

Regards
    Bala

Just Joined!

Calling user space function from kernel

Hi
    Did u get any solution for calling a user space function from a kernel module
    if so please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by shivanu
    Hi,
    I want to call some functions of a user space program from a kernel module. I cannot obviously put the code of the user space program in the kernel module as I dont have the libraries for that in the kernel space. So can anyone tell me how to be able to call user space programs, or link to them through kernel modules?

Thanks a lot
    Shivanu

Linux Enthusiast
    Fernando Apesteguia (Fernape) has write an article about Introducing LKM programming and support of C libraries in kernelspace (check the Basic rules):
    http://www.linuxforums.org/programmi...g_part_ii.html

A FAQ about Library Functions In Kernel:
    http://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/LibraryFunctionsInKernel

Regards

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by abhijitkumbhar View Post
    Hi
    Did u get any solution for calling a user space function from a kernel module
    if so please let me know.
    Well , has anyone found a particular solution to this ? I need to do something similar

Quote Originally Posted by maheshma View Post
    Well , has anyone found a particular solution to this ? I need to do something similar
    You'll probably have much better luck with creating a new thread and post as much info as possible descibing your problem. Hope this helps. *locking this thread*
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.