Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded the latest version of Mandrake and installed it on a system I threw together recently (called pionex). It gave me a Kernel Panic when I tried booting into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Panic

I downloaded the latest version of Mandrake and installed it on a system I threw together recently (called pionex). It gave me a Kernel Panic when I tried booting into the OS, so I tried a slightly older version (10.0) that I had installed on my laptop and works fine. I figured it would work on pionex since it worked on my laptop. It gives me the same error on boot-up (I'll type out the error in a second). I think that 'cause of how the problem seems to be comming even with a version I know works elsewhere, the problem must be with my hardware, but I'm not sure about that.

The error:

Creating root device
    Mounting root filesystem
    kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
    pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot ,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
    umount /initrd/sys failed: 2
    umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
    Initrd finished
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 200k freed
    Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Now, I tried the rescue mode to pass an init to the kernel, but then I realized that I didn't know any options (doh!). What should I do?

Linux Newbie
    Code:
    Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
    Edit your bootloaders config files to say something like:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/hdc1[b]init=3[/b]
    g/l :P
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gwalters
    Edit your bootloaders config files to say something like:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/hdc1[b]init=3[/b]
    g/l :P
    Where is the bootloader config file? Also, I think I've made myself a problem unless I am thankfully mistaken. When I boot from the Mandrake CD and press F1 for more options and go into the F2-Advanced Help section it says I can choose from two different Kernels:
    Code:
     You can Choose the following kernels  :
                o   alt0 is kernel 2.6.3-7mdkBOOT
                o   alt1 is kernel 2.4.25-2mdkBOOT
    I think that when I installed the older version of Mandrake I may have installed it in conjunction with the newer version on a different harddrive (I have three in this system). I'll have to look into that.

Linux Newbie
    assuming you have grub your config file is /boot/grub/grub.conf your last comment about the kernels was rather confusing.