Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there! I recently installed h3knix 1.7.8, a newly developed distro, and, after two hours of tries, and 2 installations, I managed to compile the kernel, and get X up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NTFS not supported by kernel

Hey there!

I recently installed h3knix 1.7.8, a newly developed distro, and, after two hours of tries, and 2 installations, I managed to compile the kernel, and get X up and running.

But that's not my problem.

My problem is that, although my windoze partitions are fine and healthy (meaning, I can boot with windoze normally from GRUB), I cannot mount them to /mnt. I do mkdir /mnt/hda1 in order to create a folder to which I will mount /dev/hda1, and then I do mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1. I get the following error:

mount:fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

Someone told me to recompile the kernel, but I don't know where to go and what options to check/uncheck in order to make it work. Besides, he told me some options, but they were for read-only support. What about read-write support on both NTFS and FAT32/16 ?

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to seeing your replies, everyone!

- ardeth

FAT32 support should be native. For read-write support for ntfs, try captive-ntfs http://freshmeat.net/projects/captive/

There is native read-write support for ntfs in the 2.6 series kernel (if you compile your kernel with it), but the write support is still experimental and a bit dicey.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Yeh, u say u made the kernel urself?

You need to do:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig
    go into Filesystems and enable ntfs support

Then to make the kernel, just do what you did before.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Yes, I did make the kernel by myself, although I have no previous experience in compiling kernels... :P

I did some research on captive NTFS, and I found out that it will either let you have complete read-write permissions on your NTFS drives, or mess up your partitions completely... Won't take the risk. :P I wil remain at the read-only stage for now.

I also have another question, although I would normally have to start a new thread: What kind of things/modules should I remove from the kernel compilation menu in order to boot my *nix faster?

basically anything that's not used. I have the modules for my hardware compiled into the kernel, and in addidion, frame buffer, apart from that, that's bout it (i think) My kernel image is 2.2MB, it's a bit bloated tho, and i cant work out what i got extra..... apart from not modularising stuff.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327