I have this problem with my laptop where I have one bad memory address (I know because I ran Memtest86 several times) which will cause a freeze every couple hours or so during normal operation. Obviously, that makes it pretty unreliable and therefore unusable. I would just replace a memory module, but this is in the integrated memory on the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard would be about 500 bucks + (more than the laptop is worth). I've never patched a kernel before, but there are these patches called Bad RAM and Bad MEM which might fix my problem.

Has anyone heard of these and if so, would you be able to tell me if this is something that a non-power user of linux could pull off? I've used Linux for about a year now as a secondary operating system and for research purposes, but I've never had to patch a kernel before.

Also, has anyone had experience with either of these? Is one better than the other? Bad MEM is supposed to be the continuation of Bad RAM, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. Better yet, are there any distros that come with these patches already applied? It's a Laptop, so I need a distro that will work fairly well with it, but getting to skip compiling the kernel using memory that may or may not be working at the time would be VERY nice. I heard that Mandrake 9.2 had it, but I did a search of the site and didn't find anything about it. If they have it in 10.1 that would be great, I already have a copy of that on DVD.