Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all i want to write a module which tests a device driver. I want my testing program to sit in the kernel space. For example i am writing test ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Communicating between user space and kernel space

Hi all
    i want to write a module which tests a device driver. I want my testing program to sit in the kernel space. For example i am writing test code for testing a flash which has read and write operations. I want my code to be such that,when i insert my module the testing should start automatically and i have to store the log in a file. Please provide some good ideas to do this.

Thanks

Regards
    Bala

Just Joined!
    I am not sure my idea is a good idea or not, I just think that it can work.

You may want to implement file operation read on your test driver in kernel space, then use copy_to_user() in that read function to make your data available to user space program, then in your user space program you can store that data to log file as need.

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply.

I have found out another solution.
    There is a daemon process running which captures the log messages from the kernel. It is /sbin/klogd. This daemon takes the messages from the /proc/kmsg and sends to syslog. For saving this daemon to the log file i have edited the file /etc/sysconfig/syslog. KLOGD_OPTIONS=" -c 1 -x -f /home/bala/log.txt". That -f option is used for storing the log to the specified path. This is how i arrived to the solution. I dont know whether there is any more easy ways are there to do this. If you come to know please intimate me.

Thanks

regards
    Bala