Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been compiling the kernel on a laptop and keep getting errors at the same place in make modules (kernel is already compiled). It's for the ip4v module. Any clue ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

make modules failed

I've been compiling the kernel on a laptop and keep getting errors at the same place in make modules (kernel is already compiled). It's for the ip4v module. Any clue as to what this could be?

Linux Engineer
    What's the exact error given?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    If you didnt add this already do it now, thats defintley the problem if you didnt add make_modules install.

Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make clean
    make menuconfig
    make && make_modules install

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So I was able to get make modules to finish by installing qt libraries, using xconfig (instead of menuconfig), and then loading the default .config file and making very few changes to make sure my kernel was as close to the default Mandrake kernel as possible.

When trying to reboot into the new kernel (booting to the old kernel still works) I'm having a pretty major problem. Does anyone know what this error message means?

jbd: version magic '2.6.8.1-12mdk 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.8.1-12mdkcustom preempt K7 gcc-3.4'
    insmod: error inserting '/lib/jbd.ko': errno=8
    Loading ext3.ko module
    ext3: version magic '2.6.8.1-12mdk 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.8.1-12mdkcustom preempt K7 gcc-3.4'
    insmod: error inserting '/lib/ext3.ko': errno=8

because of this im getting error 19 when trying to mount the root partition and the final error is

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

This is not booting. Anyone know how to fix this? I changed the names of some of the files around (i added the "custom" part to the filename). This was so that I could boot either version of the kernel in case the new one didnt work. I'm not willing to change that back just yet, because if it doesn't work, then I have no way of getting in and editing anything. I'd have to start from scratch.