Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have build a lfs today, it was long, not really difficult, but very long ... I have striped it, removed all useless documentation ( :o ) and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Launch a LFS on a USB Stick

Hello,

I have build a lfs today, it was long, not really difficult, but very long ...
    I have striped it, removed all useless documentation ( :o ) and it finally occup ed less than 200mb.

So I have decided to move files on my usb stick of 256mb who is divided in two partition. The first of 9mb ( /dev/sda1 ) correspond to /boot and the next and last, to the root / .

I have also installed grub on the stick and I have finally compiled a 2.6.11.7 kernel.

But when I tried to boot on my Via Epia M10000 system ( who support booting on usb ), grub load fine, the kernel load too but after a few second, it stop working and screen a kernel panic:
    "unable to mount rootfs /dev/sda2" ...

I know why it do that, that's he can't reconize the usb stick since he haven 't load necessary module like usb-storage, sd_mod ...

So I have tried to reconfigure my kernel, at the beggining, all this stuff was compiled in module, so without initrd, it's normal that it doesn't worked but I have recompiled them in hard: usbcore, etc ... and also initrd support, but it still do a kernel panic ... But after the kernel panic, the usb stick seems to be reconized :/ In fact, something like that appears:

SCSI device sda: 507901 512-byte hdwr sectors (260MB)

What I should do to make my system run properly ? I have tried to recompiled all this stuff in module ( exect initrd ) and to make an initrd with ... mkinitrd but I don't really know how to do on lfs, I have find an hint but I don't know how to make it run :/
    It said:

Code:
    #./mkinitrd kernel_version=2.6.11.7 +module=sd_mod +module=usb-storage initrdfs=ext2
    Setting up Loopback Device...
    All of your loopback devices are in use!
    And the script stopped ...
    I have checked in the script the part who make this message
    It do a loop with this command:
    Code:
    "if losetup /dev/loop$device_number $IMAGE 2>/dev/null
    with device_number 0 -> 8
    The problem is that they have no /dev/loop or anything who start by loop* in my /dev directory, ...

So sorry for this book ... it's long and not certainly easy to read, i'm not really fluent in english :'(

I hope you can help me because I have no idea of what I should do now :/

Thanks for your help, or at a loss for your time

Linux Newbie
    You should try to compile all of the usb options directly into the kernel, instead of as modules. Also, make sure you have loopback device support enabled and also probably built in instead of modularized.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.