Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why is it that under Windows or whatever I don't have to recompile the kernel just to add a new driver? Is it a protection thing? Or an optimization thing? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oky
    Just Joined!

why kernel recompilation?

Why is it that under Windows or whatever I don't have to recompile the kernel just to add a new driver? Is it a protection thing? Or an optimization thing? Or something else?

Linux Engineer
    Windows is closed Software, you can't compile anything, you don't have the sources.. and you wouldn't be able to if you had them

Recompiling the kernel is for optimization (remove stuff that may be loaded but you don't use it at all) and for upgrading (sometimes there are vulnerabilities in the kernel).
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Just Joined!
    Cant you just compile the module and then use the insmod command to install the driver into the running kernel?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by scoome
    Cant you just compile the module and then use the insmod command to install the driver into the running kernel?
    Yeah, I think you can do that..
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Just Joined!
    as for me, the one who compiles kernel gains great experience in understanding principles of system. It took 9 attempts to succcesfully configure a working kernel first time i did it.

Just Joined!
    the main reason to compile the kernel is customisation... if done properly (ie you know all the hardware in your machine) start up would be significantly faster...