Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i have some questions about the Linux kernel. Let's say if i want to modify the directory structuur, is that possible? Can you completely change the way linux works? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modifying the Linux Kernel

Hi, i have some questions about the Linux kernel. Let's say if i want to modify the directory structuur, is that possible? Can you completely change the way linux works? I was just wondering if this is possible, not that i'm gonna do it. I know most of the programs wouldn't work if you do that, but if you compile them for the modified kernel, they should work fine, right?

Linux Guru
    Can you change the way Linux works? Depends on what "works" means. You can change it, but it's better to think of what you want to accomplish than what you want to change, especially when what you want to change is something as expansive as "the kernel".

Yes, you can change the directory structure, and yes it will break some programs that need to know where to find things. For a better appreciation of the directory structure, look at these:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ystem-fhs.html
    http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Well let's say i want to put all the essential system files in 1 folder called "system" and put it in the root. Then i'll create another folder "applications" and put that also in the root, i think you'll get the point. Now is that possible and if yes is that hard to do, do i have to change a lot to the kernel to make it work?

Linux Engineer
    There's already an OS that does that. It's called WIndows.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

You would have to do a LOT of work to set a system up like that...maybe linux from scratch would allow it, but it wouldn't be easy even if that were the case.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Well, I'm pretty sure that for me, that would be very hard to do. And since you are asking , I'd guess it would hard for you, and for what? If your goal is to have only two directories in root, I say good luck. If instead you are trying to make your system more secure, or to make things look simple for other users, I'm sure there are better ways.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!

Re:

I believe thats why the FHS was created. To set a standard for the way files and directories are organized for the Linux World. If you read this you will have a greater understanding of how and why the directories are setup the way they are.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Well, I'm pretty sure that for me, that would be very hard to do. And since you are asking , I'd guess it would hard for you, and for what? If your goal is to have only two directories in root, I say good luck. If instead you are trying to make your system more secure, or to make things look simple for other users, I'm sure there are better ways.
    It's to make it easier for normal users and to "clean" it up. Here's wat i was thinking of:
    - system
    - library
    - applications
    - games
    - home
    - home/library
    - var

system would be for the system files.
    libray would be used by programs to share data

I know this is not easy to do, but i don't think it's impossible. This would make Linux less "scary" for beginners.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, the file structure is certainly foriegn to new users. I guess the sheet metal on cars is for more than just streamlining
    - system
    • This necessarily includes:
      -bin
      -dev
      -etc
      -sbin
    - library (lib)
    - applications (usr)
    - games (usr)
    - home
    - home/library
    - var

Since normal users by default always start out in /home/user, maybe you should have them stay there and not worry about anything above that by creating a directory structure within /home/user. You could have a folder for -system, -games, -applications and whatever which would have symbolic links to the actual executables. All of that could be worked out and modifications made to /etc/skel so that whenever you create an account for a new user, the directory structure would by default be created in their own /home/user directory.

You should also research "chroot jail" to see if this will help in your goals.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Yeah, the file structure is certainly foriegn to new users. I guess the sheet metal on cars is for more than just streamlining
    - system
    • This necessarily includes:
      -bin
      -dev
      -etc
      -sbin
    - library (lib)
    - applications (usr)
    - games (usr)
    - home
    - home/library
    - var
    - boot
    I am gonna try to make this with some friends, if it works we will go a step further, a new GUI for linux based on KDE. Iíll let you guys know if it works. Of course you can help us if youíre a good programmer