Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The 2.6 kernel input driver is unable to handle PS/2 (thats a violet coded connector) keyboard unplugs. I need to share a single set of keyboard/monitor/mouse between several PCs, using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm still doomed to old distros (kernel 2.4)

The 2.6 kernel input driver is unable to handle PS/2 (thats a violet coded connector) keyboard unplugs. I need to share a single set of keyboard/monitor/mouse between several PCs, using a switcher. Result is unusable loss of keyboard.

It seems I am the only one in the world able to demonstrate this effect, no matter what distro, no matter what motherboard, using many keyboards old and new. Use a 2.4 kernel, and all is well.

A kind kernel developer has tried to help, but I fear this one is a bit fundamental.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=

maybe.. one day

Linux Engineer
    Which kernel? I can unplug all day long and still be good to go. I'm using 2.6.11.2
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Thanks much for the reply.
    Is your keyboard definitely one of the older PS/2 connector types?

So far , any kernel with 2.6 in its name messes up here.
    Any kernel with 2.4 is OK

Simplest check I have is to try out the Knoppix 3.7 which uses 2.4, and is OK
    Try the Knoppix 3.8, which uses 2.6 - ythere is a problem!

Suse 8.1 (old) is fine.
    Suse 9.* is a problem

Gentoo 2.4.30 is OK
    Gentoo 2.6.11 is a problem

Ubuntu (uses 2.6) messes up
    It goes on. Every distro, no matter which.

Also, repeat the above, but change the PC from 600MHz P3 on Abit to AMD2.5 XP (Barton) on Asus AN78X. Same results.

Also try every keyboard old and new. Logitech, IBMs, made in Chinas.

Its driving me nuts...
    So, if you really do have an instance of successful unplug/re-plug with a PS/2 keyboard, and 2.6 running, then please say what is the hardware?

Also, what is the distro?

Many thanks

Linux Engineer
    I'm running an old PIII 450 with an original Microsoft Natural Keyboard with PS2 connector. Distro is Vector Linux SOHO 5.0.1.

The distro comes with the 2.4 kernel, but I upgraded to 2.6.11.2
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    OK retired1af,
    I will now try the Vector Linux Distro, on a 600MHz PIII.

The most recent Vector Linux 5.0-SOHO from 19 Feb 2005 comes with 2.4.29 kernel.
    There is also Vector Linux 5.0-Beta 2 from 19 May 2005 which has 2.6.11.7 kernel.

Kernel developer Dmitri is a patient and amiable guy, but he has the right to expect that I am not just some passing nut case deliberately messing him about. Credibility is important if I am to overcome this problem. I have to check out everything very carefully.

Should I maybe go for the 2.6.11.7 in one hit, or should I maybe follow exactly your route? Should I somehow try for 2.6.11.2 ?

Linux Engineer
    Depends on what you're looking for. The SOHO version is very nice. Comes with all the apps you need for a Small Office/Home Office environment.

Upgrading the kernel is a snap. Download the kernel and headers from the repository. Install in the usual way (installpkg). Copy /etc/modules.conf to /etc/modprobe.conf. Modify your lilo.conf file, run lilo and you're off to the races.

Details on upgrading to 2.6.11.2 can be found here.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Hmm.. not there yet.

Vector Linux comes up in very low resolution, despite I asked for 1280x1024. The default choices do not include the ability to force vsync=60. The KDE menu almost covers the screen. But.. so what. I'll resort to command line.

Trying command line, I don't care how much you stalwarts love vi, it has to be nostalgia. I can't use it without a lot of time learning how. Maybe I got spoiled with "nano" and "kate" Anyways, /etc/X11/xorg.conf is somewhat knobbled, and I dont want to get sidetracked.

Downloading.. I have 2 problems now. Until I can get the USB ADSL modem Linux driver et al all running, I have to live with the W2K box being the gateway (192.168.0.1). Its being a ***** in that it won't let the Vector Linux box apps (Firefox etc.) use the net. Everything can ping everything, and the Linux box can ping the DNS nameservers out there. I don't understand.

Assume I get over the network stuff, download to where? I never used Slack before. Do I put the download archive in something like /usr/sources/my_new_kernel, then maybe do
    Code:
    installpkg /usr/sources/my_new_kernel/whatever_its_called.bz2
    ??

I am a n00b who resorted to Gentoo (in hopes a compiled system would not be prone to the keyboard loss problem) and learned just enough to be dangerous. All this would be done automagically with
    Code:
    emerge gentoo-soutces
    . Maybe I will go for a Vector Linux 5.0-Beta2 as a faster way to do this kernel checkout.

In passing, Vector Linux feels very fast. Probably nothing could quite match a hand-tuned Gentoo, but Vector is maybe the way to get an "older" box to feel like a modern one without a whole day compiling.

Linux Engineer
    Manually modify your xorg.conf file and specify your settings.

Try mcedit as your editor.

What did you set as your hostname?

No need to specify a location with installpkg. It's all automatic. Better yet, use VLAPT, it's even MORE user friendly.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    What did you set as your hostname?
    Like with the other distro, I used the machine name (miranda)
    That so I can end up with a full domain name miranda.my_domain.net

Yeah, I know, I might have typed in the whole domain name in the place where it wanted only a hostname.. checking.

BTW - thanks for the alternative editor. I was choking a bit on vi.

re: xorg.conf - is an older XFree86.conf reasonable for settings examples, or is the xorg version made with new commands and syntax?

Linux Engineer
    I've never had to manually change my xorg.conf files, so I'm not sure.

Your hostname should include the domain. Just making sure.

Check out this thread for your resolution problem. Should fix you right up.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast