Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi guys im new to the forum and first objective is that i am doing my final year project of the bachelor program and i want to develope linux kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help

hi guys im new to the forum and first objective is that i am doing my final year project of the bachelor program and i want to develope linux kernel for that i need help from u guys really i am at the scratch right now anyone who guide me step by step.

thanks hope to hear from you all,

best regards

ahtasham ahmad

Just Joined!

Re: need help

Quote Originally Posted by ahtasham
    hi guys im new to the forum and first objective is that i am doing my final year project of the bachelor program and i want to develope linux kernel for that i need help from u guys really i am at the scratch right now anyone who guide me step by step.

best regards

ahtasham ahmad
    What is the development you intend to?

Just Joined!

kernel

the kernel itself

i want to develope the kernel as my final project.

or can you give me some suggestion.

thx,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I can list some kinds of development people do in kernel:

- Improve kernel internal structures and algorithms (scheduler, memory management, driver framework, filesystem, ...). This part can be considered as hardware-independent part of OS (may be not completely right for all things listed here, for example, I think low level of memory management depends on processors)

- Support for new architecture ( you see kernel can support many kinds of cpu x86, arm, mpc, ...) and new hardware (use same cpu, we can have many different hardwares with different peripheral devices)

By your university program, I think you must be already familiar with the concept of OS. Linux is a good one for you to study how an OS is implemented, not only theory side. But before you can really do a development, try more until at least you can answer yourself the question you posted here

Just Joined!

didnt got your point

wats the point i mean which question i hav to answer and one more thing that is i am not studying in a very good university therefore my mind level is not so high but it doesnt mean that i cant do anything and thats the reason y i decided to do that work so i can do something special.

waiting for more suggestion

thanks

Just Joined!

Re: didnt got your point

In my case, in university days, I studied OS theory (Edward Grady Coffman - Prentice Hall - Operating Systems Theory). For studying Linux kernel, I read Understanding the Linux Kernel (Daniel P. Bovet, Marco Cesati / Oreilly). I had some small projects also (can't call them developments in kernel but they really helped me to understand Linux world). You may want to read those books and should have many small programming practices in Linux kernel before developing it.

If you want to have development the Linux kernel for your final project, consider your time. Besides this, you can have much enjoyment in getting your knowledge and making your development with Linux kernel

Just Joined!

yes

u r right with reading books but u know something i am still not satisfied with my plan because i dont hav any i mean i know nothing and i want to do a big job i dont know where to start where to go and when to gooooo...................

but thanks for ur concern still waiting of ur sugesstions furthur more.......

kernel developement is not a big project atleast now a days when we have resources available at our fingertips . regarding your query just look in the "how tos " for kernel developement . you will get the whole thing even you can get the code also.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Please look at forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by ahtasham

best regards

ahtasham ahmad
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ums-rules.html
    Last edited by apoorv_khurasia; 05-07-2006 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Title did not come. Without it the post becomes fuzzy
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

this isn't a homework question imo. he's asking for good references to help him get started. just don't ask us to get too in-depth

to the OP, you should get a good knowledge of C and programming techniques. get The C Programming Language if you haven't already and study that. it helps since it was written for UNIX so it's got no assumptions that you are using windows and sticks to standard library functions.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast