Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone!! Ok I know the title could have been more specific and I didn't knbow were to put this but anyway, Is it possible to have to kerenls on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is a Dual boot liveCD possible?

Hi everyone!!
    Ok I know the title could have been more specific and I didn't knbow were to put this but anyway, Is it possible to have to kerenls on one CD 1 kernel for each type of processor?

To be more specific...
    Me and my freind are Quake 2 Phreaks and they always have problems with getting it to work so I have to go to each persons house and either fix the installation or set it up or whatever.

SO my idea was to make a linux distro that did nothing but run quake.
    Also, it would do a hardware detect and set the best setting for each hardware setup.
    However some of my friends have macs.
    SO back to my question, is it possible to make a LiveCD that would run on a mac and a PC?

Thanks for all your advice

Just Joined!
    If you do manage it can I have a copy? That's a brilliant idea that all the games developers should do as the standard rather thn relying on the OS

Cheers
    Dave

Re: Is a Dual boot liveCD possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Edude03
    Hi everyone!!
    Ok I know the title could have been more specific and I didn't knbow were to put this but anyway, Is it possible to have to kerenls on one CD 1 kernel for each type of processor?
    Yes, it's possible to have multiple kernels on one disc, however you could not do this for different CPU architectures unless you had a completely separate OS to run along with the kernel. Keep in mind that the kernel is the main part of the OS, but it is not the *entire* OS. You cannot run software compiled for an x86 processor on a POWER5 or SPARC processor just by changing the kernel.

In the future this may be possible since Macs are now moving to Intel-based processors, but at the moment I just don't see it working. Meanwhile, the idea of a Linux distro that just runs games (or one specific game) has been done from time to time. Gentoo offered a LiveCD that autodetected and let you play the UT2003 demo a while back, and there's a Linux distro composed almost entirely of games out there. I forget the name, but it's on distrowatch.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Morphix do a games cd
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Dave: NO problem man, if you're close I'll even mail it to you.
    The only thing I want you to do is Join the "Dark Side" .
    It's are team, we go in and bust heads.

TechieMoe: I wass looking into morphix and it looks promising, is there anyway to Port it to Mac then have the mac version quake then both the pc and mac version of quake share the Data files or would that be too complicated?

Also, do you have any other way I could do it then?
    I was thinking of making a LiveCD for windows and on the same CD have the installer for Mac. That way, Pc and Mac can share the same data files.

Thanks for your advice,
    Michael

Linux Guru
    There are lots of tools for booting from syslinux, grub, lilo and even the very andy SmartBootManager, but I'm not sure if any of them can be run without specific processor compilation. That wold be sweet though. It is possible to do it for x86-32 and x86-64: just look at the last SuSE install DVD. I would be very impressed if you got this working, especially with increased disc capacities on the way, it'd be great if one disc could load all of the major architectures with the same distro.