Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I swept through the forums a couple times looking for a solution to this. I've heard/read it is impossible. But, I can't find any solid, concrete information about this. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monolithic Kernel and 2.6.12

Hello,

I swept through the forums a couple times looking for a solution to this. I've heard/read it is impossible. But, I can't find any solid, concrete information about this.

I'm trying to build a monolithic kernel on Fedora Core 4 with the 2.6.12 release. Everytime I turn CONFIG_MODULES off I get a "unable to load initial console" error. I can run the same kerned with modules on, and get past this hump.

Any suggestions or directions to further reading?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    The Linux kernel is already considered to be a Monolithic kernel, but it is not one in the purest sense of the word - In OS's you either use a Monolithic or a Micro kernel (like XP, 2000) as i am sure you know.

The Monolithic kernel provides all the services the user app's need. Where the Micro kernel uses a small core-set of services and other modules to interface with executive services and I/O, and process management.

"unable to load initial console". This error happens sometimes when the Ramdisk size is set too small. Did you notice any "Ramdisk incomplete write" errors?