Find the answer to your Linux question:
First, let me give you guys alittle background. I've been using Linux on and off for over a year now (using the LiveCDs), but in the last 2 months I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Problem Configuring Kernel

First, let me give you guys alittle background. I've been using Linux on and off for over a year now (using the LiveCDs), but in the last 2 months I've gotten pretty serious about it. Well, I read a few online books on introducing linux, and getting started. Well, now I feel I'm ready to graduate from newb status to intermediate. I feel pretty confortable in text mode only and could probably do anything there. So anyway, I think it would be fun to build a small linux, I've read all of the "Pocket Linux Guide" and I'm ready to start it.

Anyway, the first step is to compile a kernel, and I can't get into the configuration for anything in this world. I've been reading this: Kernel Compile How-To. I've done everything by it, but when I type "make xconfig" I get a weird error saying I don't have the QT package (I've tried using Synaptic and apt-get in Debian, but can't find it). Well, so I tried "make menuconfig", and get an error saying I need Ncurses-devel library, which I've also looked for an can't find (I see all sorts of Ncurses-*, which are all already installed).

The only thing that works is "make config", but that's a Q&A style config, and I rather start with a menu driven configuration format, that way I can go back if I mess something up.

Any ideas on why I can't get the menu driven configuration running? I've been able to apt-get all other packages that I need, except these two that the kernel config ask for.[/quote]

Try this for GUI config:
    Code:
    # apt-get install libqt3-mt-dev
    Or for command line menu:
    Code:
    # apt-get install libncurses-dev
    or
    Code:
    # apt-get install ncurses-dev

Linux Enthusiast
    Worked, thanks!!

4. $spacer_open