Find the answer to your Linux question:
I successfully compiled my first kernel a couple of days ago (I'm building LFS), but wasn't 100% sure exactly which options I should choose from the compilation menu. Now that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Finding kernel compilation options

I successfully compiled my first kernel a couple of days ago (I'm building LFS), but wasn't 100% sure exactly which options I should choose from the compilation menu. Now that I am becoming more familiar with the options I should have chosen I would like to find out if I actually included them. Is there a way I can examine the compiled kernel to see what I included, or is the only way to recompile with the correct options chosen??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Engineer
    Hm.. do you still have the kernel sources you used for that specific kernel? If so, go to that dir and view the ".config" file (with a dot, yes, that's because it's a hidden file).

On 2.6 kernels, there's an option that it puts the kernel config file in /proc/config.gz or something like that.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

It was a 2.6 kernel, but it didn't put anything into /proc, and I couldn't find *config.gz* anywhere on my drive.
    All is good though, cos I found the .config file in the sources directory.

Thanks for your help.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Guru
    You'll need to compile the kernel with CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC support for it to put config.gz in /proc.