Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am attempting to insmod 8250.ko, a serial / UART driver module and get the following error message: Code: insmod: error inserting '8250.ko': -1 Device or resource busy Also, I'd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Problems inserting kernel modules

I am attempting to insmod 8250.ko, a serial / UART driver module and get the following error message:

Code:
    insmod: error inserting '8250.ko': -1 Device or resource busy
    Also, I'd like to note that I am attempting to resolve this issue without modprobe, as it is currently not functional on this particular system and would be difficult to install due to a libc issue.

Any ideas?

It mostly likely shares an IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest line) with another device. Does this serial device double as anything else?

Linux Newbie
    Yep this is true, the Linux PCMCIA serial modem driver shares the same namespace as the serial port driver for PXA cpu's. I have a PXA computer with a serial modem and several serial ports, so currently it is impossible to to use both the serial modem and the serial ports in Linux. The only solution would be to use another operating system alltogether or change the namespace of one of the drivers (I'm currently looking into this).

You just need to shut one down while using the other.

Linux Newbie
    You just need to shut one down while using the other.
    Hmmm, are you suggesting the loading and unloading of kernel modules? My pxa serial driver is not modularized, although my serial modem driver is. If this is the only way to shut one down, then I assume I would need to rebuild my kernel with the pxa serial driver as a module instead of a built in component. Or is there a way to shut these down otherwise on the fly?[/quote]

That's what I'd do, but then again I do everything as a module.

Linux Newbie
    hmmm, I think that may create a serious issue as I need one of the serial drivers for my console (otherwise I can't even see or control the system), so shutting down that module just isn't an option. I really need to be able to modify the namespace of one so they don't interfere with one another such that they can operate simultaneously.

Just Joined!
    Had you solved it?