Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need to upgrade the default kernel install during a red hat advanced server 3.0 installation to at least kernel-2.4.21-27.EL. Now I have downloaded the rpm for this , ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrading RedHat Advanced Server 3.0 Kernel

Hi,
    I need to upgrade the default kernel install during a red hat advanced server 3.0 installation to at least kernel-2.4.21-27.EL. Now I have downloaded the rpm for this , and it is a source rpm *.src.rpm.
    The last time I did something like this on advanced server 2.1 I had only the rpm file, and ran :
    rpm -ivh *.rpm
    This gives me a new kernel and keeps my existing one intact. However now i have a source rpm for the kernel - How do i proceed with this. I have tried running
    rpm -ivh *.src.rpm
    but this does not appear to do anything - any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

Just Joined!
    Oh, yeha i also tried

rpm --rebuild

however rpm complains with saying --rebuild is not a valid option

Just Joined!
    I see that there is the following now under /usr/src
    linux-2.4 -> linux-2.4.21-32.EL
    linux-2.4.21-32.EL
    redhat
    2.4.21-32 is the version of the kernel i wanted to update to.
    Does this now mean i need to enter this directory and follow the procedure:
    make clean
    make config
    make dep
    make bzImage
    etc
    I am slightly confused, becasue i do remember as mentioned earlier for red hat as 2.1, I had an rpm fiile for a kernel, and issuing rpm -i was more or less all that was need to be done.
    However now i have a kernel.src.rpm file and it seems that more work is required here - either am i correct in the approach I need to take ?

Just Joined!

Re:Upgrading RedHat Advanced Server 3.0 Kernel

You are right there. Compiling a kernel from the source rpm is a bit tedious but there are advantages as you get more control over the process. You will have to compile it manually using "make" and editing the the boot loader etc.

In case you are just looking to upgrade the kernel then http://ftp.ale.org/pub/mirrors/tao-l.../RPMS.updates/ might be help full. But you have to take precautions while choosing the kernel and you may find the following commands helpful for the same.
    # uname -r
    # cat /etc/redhat-release
    # rpm -q --queryformat "%{ARCH}\n" kernel

Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the update - i've managed to get this done, but just out of interest, the ftp site you;ve posted can i use the rpm's here for redhat advanced server ?