Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install the Alsa sound drivers for my Ess-Solo 1 audio card on a SuSE 8.0 OS. It requires the kernal source which I believe would be in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where is Kernal Source?

I'm trying to install the Alsa sound drivers for my Ess-Solo 1 audio card on a SuSE 8.0 OS. It requires the kernal source which I believe would be in /usr/src/linux. I do not have that source directory so I'm trying to install the source from the CD. Where is it? I tried installing Kernal-Source-SPM from Source Packages but it didn't put any source in /usr/src/linux. When I go back into Yast, it doesn't show that it was installed. I'm confused. Was the source installed? Where is it?

Linux Enthusiast
    I think it is in /usr/src/RedHat/SRPMs/linux or something like that.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    /usr/src/ contains the kernel source, - inside of a folder matching the current version

for future hunts

rpm -ql package_name

will list the location of all files that came installed as part of the requested package
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    hi
    i faced the problem you have to take the source rpm and install it that will be the easiest way u can get it from
    www.kernel.org
    hope u ll solved

Linux Engineer
    Search in Yast for kernel source, it should bring it up. Then you can install it from there.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by robnelli
    I'm trying to install the Alsa sound drivers for my Ess-Solo 1 audio card on a SuSE 8.0 OS. It requires the kernal source which I believe would be in /usr/src/linux. I do not have that source directory so I'm trying to install the source from the CD. Where is it? I tried installing Kernal-Source-SPM from Source Packages but it didn't put any source in /usr/src/linux. When I go back into Yast, it doesn't show that it was installed. I'm confused. Was the source installed? Where is it?
    it is in

/usr/src/linux(with major and minor numbers of versions)
    note u have to install KernelDevelopemnt libraries
    to get this folder
    or u can get a kernel from kernel.org
    compile it and build it.

Sometime vanilla kernel have problems in certain distributions, although in my opinion have less bugs.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums