Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Sorry, my question was not clear. Is it possbile to call msgsnd() from kernel space to user space? Thank you. Kind Regards....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

send message from kernel to user application

Hi,

Sorry, my question was not clear. Is it possbile to call msgsnd() from kernel space to user space?

Thank you.

Kind Regards.

Just Joined!
    copy_from_user/copy_to_user may meet your need.

But I myself am confusing about these functions. I hope someone give me some explanation.

Here is prototype of the function:

unsigned long copy_to_user (void __user * to, const void * from, unsigned long n);

I see that function appears in kernel driver's file operations like the following:

Code:
    char data; /*kernel driver global variabe*/
    ssize_t device_read (struct file *filp, char *buffer, size_t length, loff_t *ppos)
    {
        copy_to_user(buffer,&data, 1);
        return 1;
    }
    In this case the to pointer transfered into the function copy_to_user is buffer. At this point I know that when calling
    Code:
    read(some_file_hande, user_space_buffer)
    from userspace, user_space_buffer will be buffer in the file operation read of kernel driver. I don't know how this user_space_buffer in userspace is transfered to the file operation read in kernel driver. Just think it's some kernel implementation. But my wonder is, if I want to get a pointer of userspace address from within kernel module in general case (not in file operations of a driver), how can I do it?