Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I recently bought an AMD 64bit and notice that the flash player (macromedia) doesn't work plus some other w32codecs. From an extensive search on internet I didn't find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running 32bit OS on a 64 bit system

Hi guys,

I recently bought an AMD 64bit and notice that the flash player (macromedia) doesn't work plus some other w32codecs.
    From an extensive search on internet I didn't find any way to install them apart from running them via a chroot environment which I don't want anyway.

In case that I will install the Debian Sarge 32bit distribution and recompile a kernel for 64 bit am I going to benefit its performance or it's no point?

Thanks a lot

32-bit OSes will run unmodified and very well on an AMD64 processor. I have never run into any software that will not run on the AMD64. You will not notice any appreciable difference in overall system performance using a 64-bit distro versus a 32-bit distro on an AMD64 at this time.

In the future when software developers begin to take full advantage of the new features of the AMD64-class processors this will change. Until then for simplicity sake I recommend you stick to 32-bit OSes on your AMD64.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hi techieMoe,

I think you have absolut right, most of these kind of things (every X days new superb hardware) are just a marketing thing...

I still have an old good dual PIII with 200 days uptime, running Debian and have more than 4Mbit bandwidth per month with no problems at all.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Agreed. Running my AMD64 just nicely with old 32-bit 2.4.29 kernel. No problems whatsoever, and at least with my use the system's been efficient enough.