Find the answer to your Linux question:
i wanna build a new shell for my linux environment ,i do the kernel compilation and all that but i ve an idea to buil my own shell how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to write my own shell

i wanna build a new shell for my linux environment ,i do the kernel compilation and all that but i ve an idea to buil my own shell how do i do that , is there any book or pdf for that so that i ll go in that direction i need study material and guidance if any one have
    thanx
    recklinux :o

Linux Engineer

Re: how to write my own shell

Quote Originally Posted by recklinux
    i wanna build a new shell for my linux environment ,i do the kernel compilation and all that but i ve an idea to buil my own shell how do i do that , is there any book or pdf for that so that i ll go in that direction i need study material and guidance if any one have
    thanx
    recklinux :o
    Why create a new shell? There are plenty out there, likely with whatever features you are looking for.

ash
    bash
    chsh
    csh
    dash
    esh
    fosh
    ksh
    rc
    sh
    tcsh
    zsh

Just to name a few

Just Joined!
    please don't beat around the bush post reply only if you think u know the right answer , i wanna build a new shell if you know somethin just guide me how to build the shell of my own .
    thanx

Linux User

OS course...

If you program, it's rather easy write an own basic shell... I suggest to write it in C, because you need to fork processes.

I've not found any book or how-to, but you can search on any university material: in a Operating System lessons, a basic shell program is a must because it explain how processes are created.

Then, major difficoulties can derive from how many features your shell must have: redirections, jobs management and so on...

Good Luck
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

Just Joined!
    hey i said i wanna write my own shell means i atleast know that much of thing , i d done shell programming , i done DD etc so please any good one
    thanx

Just Joined!
    RTFSC. Everthing you need to know is here:
    ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/bash-3.0.tar.gz

Quote Originally Posted by recklinux
    please don't beat around the bush post reply only if you think u know the right answer , i wanna build a new shell if you know somethin just guide me how to build the shell of my own .
    thanx
    I had to do this for a project in college. One thing that helped me immensely was looking at the source code for a very tiny shell program, MSH (minishell). Here is a site with a lot of shells and source code for them:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/shells/!INDEX.short.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    hey thanx techie that msh will work i think , that is really a good source to understand the shell

Linux Engineer