Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm upgrading to a vanilla 2.6.14-rc2 kernel on a Ubuntu Debian installation using menuconfig. I was told to use the /.config file from my last upgrade in October 2004. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New kernel fails "make" because of name??

Hi, I'm upgrading to a vanilla 2.6.14-rc2 kernel on a Ubuntu Debian installation using menuconfig. I was told to use the /.config file from my last upgrade in October 2004.

I couldn't find my old .config file in /usr/src/linux to use, but I did find a file config.101404 in the /usr/src directory. I copied it over to /linux, and sure enough when I did a make menuconfig, all my original work was there. I changed a couple of items about the sourd card, saved and exited.

But now when I try:

fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.20050928.1 kernel_image

I get this message:

The changelog says we are creating 2.6.10-rc2.101404.1, but I thought the version is 2.6.10-rc2.20050928.1
    make[1]: *** [real_stamp_image] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10-rc2'
    make: *** [kernel-image-deb] Error 2

How do I get around this?

dishbert

Just Joined!
    Finally figured it out: I was trying to compile the kernel from /usr/src, and I needed to be in the 2.6.14 directory.

I copied my /.config from the old 2.6.10 directory, into the 2.6.14 directory, and everything was fine after that!