Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently compiled 2.6.13.2 on my system, an old Duron 750Mhz 1GB RAM, 60G HD, 1 Burner, 1 Floppy, 2 USB, 16MB Voodoo3 Video, 22" monitor, 3com Etherlink III NIC....and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel 2.6.13.2 - Doesn't Recognize Logitech!

I recently compiled 2.6.13.2 on my system, an old Duron 750Mhz 1GB RAM, 60G HD, 1 Burner, 1 Floppy, 2 USB, 16MB Voodoo3 Video, 22" monitor, 3com Etherlink III NIC....and of all the things to not work...it didn't properly recognize my logitec ps/2 trackball. This is my first time compiling a kernel and I'm not real comfortable with what I've done here...how might I go about things differently to ensure that my mouse will work? Kernel options? Modules? Conf Files?

Also, I use a mobile Hard Drive which I bring to school and run on the HPs there...the 2.4.29 kernel works great with the NetXtreme Gigabit NIC there, but when I boot 2.6.13.2, it doesn't recognize it at all. I think this is the same issue as above, although I could have sworn I was quite specific about selecting the option to compile drivers for the NetXtreme card into the kernel, because I distinctly remember being surprised to find them to be available as part of the kernel options.

Is there an option for Logitec PS/2 Trackballs as well that I've missed? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm anxious to take the new kernel for a spin while it actually agrees with my hardware...and no I like my weird mouse very much, I don't want to buy a new one. Thanks in advance for any advice!

if the 2.4 kernel worked fine i can't see a reason to upgrade to 2.6. what X server are you running? X.org, XFree86? maybe you didn't configure support in for trackballs into the kernel.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!

Trackball Support

Hmmm....hadn't thought it would recognize trackballs any differently than a regular Logitech, I'll try looking for a trackball option in the kernel.

The weird thing is its crapping out on the command line too. My gpm option for type is set to ps2, its the same as when 2.4 kernel boots. Very strange.

My KDE is 3.3, I'm not even going into graphical before I run into problems...especially since I'm useless without a mouse in a gui!

I'm just confused thoroughly on this one. I think you're right about staying with 2.4, I like some of the other stuff added to 2.6 though for now, I'm just staying with the 2.4 because I can't really do anything graphically. Internet browsing is really difficult when your mouse jumps all over the screen and clicks at random!

Just Joined!

SOLVED - Much Later...

Hello to Anyone that Looks at this.
    I know the frustration of searching post after outdated post and finding only re-iteration of your problem and no solution! Therefore...here is the solution I finally found somewhere out there.

By passing the kernel option at boot time:
    "psmouse.proto=imps"
    Tack this into the lilo.conf file as a kernel option (append="") and you'll be good to go.

This was a cause of so much headache for me!!! Glad to have it solved. I hope this helps someone out there!

AFAIK, you can put that option also in the xorg.conf (or equivalent) file.
    Did you try it?

Best Regards

Just Joined!

Talking xorg.conf

I haven't tried putting it in xorg.conf, but considering that my mouse jumped around at random even in the command line (using gpm on boot) it was just a lot easier for my configuration to use it as a kernel option. Especially in multiple distros. This worked for me in Slack, Gentoo, Knoppix, and others that I have only tried liveCds of and don't recall very well. Point being, the kernel param is the way to go for me.