Find the answer to your Linux question:
[I originally posted this in the SUSE Linux forums, but I soon came to realize that since this was not just a problem I was having with SUSE but with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Driver Compilation Error

[I originally posted this in the SUSE Linux forums, but I soon came to realize that since this was not just a problem I was having with SUSE but with all distributions that there was a problem with the compilation process itself.]
    I just purchased a new external USB dialup modem. Amazingly, not only was it supported by Linux, but the Linux drivers were actually included on the CD-ROM. So I went to my box, fired up SUSE, and opened up the driver's readme file. I began to install. I started by unpacking the tar file. I soon realized that I needed to install the Linux kernel source files for the installation to complete. So I did this immediatly in YaST. Note that I do have the required make, gcc and binutils packages installed.
    So. I go back to the modem driver directory and type in
    Code:
    make
    I get a load of error messages shot back at me. Something like
    Code:
    blah.h WARNING blah blah blah change token "blah" to "blah"
    Okay. So not exactly like that. But you get the idea. At the end of the very long collection of error messages I was given is
    Code:
    gcc *** error 1
    Or something to that effect. So I looked in the readme file again and realize that I need to edit the "KERNEL=INCLUDES" entry in the makefile to the path of the local Linux header files. So I entered in the path (/lib/modules/2.6.11.14-20a-default, aka /lib/modules/'uname -r'). And still I got the same errors.
    If it is of any importance, note that I am using the SmartLink Linux drivers. They came off of the included CD-ROM so they should work just fine with the modem. I just can't get the goddam thing to compile. I've tried every single possibile include directory and nothing works. Nope. It just shoots the same old errors back at me. I know that the modem itself is functional since it works just fine in Windows.

Can you post the actual errors?

Linux Enthusiast

Gee, I've just realized that I was using a driver from 2000.
    So I've got the new SmartLink driver. This one's from 2004. I was dumb enough not to figure out that the old driver didn't support kernels newer than the 2.4 version.
    But I'm still having issues.
    I can now compile (make) and install (make install) with no errors. I can even load the driver onto the HDD. But I'm at the point where I need to actually load the driver into memory. The command for this is
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=ITALY /dev/slusb0
    When I run it I get the error message
    Code:
    error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slusb0': No such device or address
    error: cannot setup device `/dev/slusb0'
    But I know that the entry exists in /dev. It appears in file managers all the time.

What's the result of 'ls -l'-ing it?

Linux Enthusiast
    I assume you mean the USB entries.
    Code:
    crw-rw-r--   1 root       dialout 213,   0 2005-03-19 13:36 slusb0
    crw-rw-r--   1 root       dialout 213,   1 2005-03-19 13:36 slusb1
    crw-rw-r--   1 root       dialout 213,   2 2005-03-19 13:36 slusb2
    crw-rw-r--   1 root       dialout 213,   3 2005-03-19 13:36 slusb3

Just Joined!
    hi
    that can be if some other driver is using your device and its in use but i think in that case it should have to give resource busy try to apply -Wall with gcc and seek lsmod for drivers as i work in redhat im telling ya its options ..

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810

Gee, I've just realized that I was using a driver from 2000.
    So I've got the new SmartLink driver. This one's from 2004. I was dumb enough not to figure out that the old driver didn't support kernels newer than the 2.4 version.
    But I'm still having issues.
    I can now compile (make) and install (make install) with no errors. I can even load the driver onto the HDD. But I'm at the point where I need to actually load the driver into memory. The command for this is
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=ITALY /dev/slusb0
    When I run it I get the error message
    Code:
    error: mdm setup: cannot open dev `/dev/slusb0': No such device or address
    error: cannot setup device `/dev/slusb0'
    But I know that the entry exists in /dev. It appears in file managers all the time.
    That's because you haven't insmoded the module yet.
    After the compilation, there would be a file somefile.ko.
    Just do insmod somefile.ko and then try your slmodemd.... procedure.
    Basically, slmodemd is a config daemon that internally uses the driver - it's used to configure the device driver from user-space.
    I doubt if it actually loads the driver itself - because it cannot know the location of the driver binary.

You can check if the module is loaded by using lsmod.
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564