Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, first let me say that i have been using GNU/Linux for about a year now. I am using SUSE 10.0 and I am building a custom kernel., for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling error

Hello, first let me say that i have been using GNU/Linux for about a year now. I am using SUSE 10.0 and I am building a custom kernel., for the first time.

I am compiling kernel 2.6.13. When i run make i get the following messages.

arch/x86_64/kernel/nmi.c: In function ‘check_nmi_watchdog’:
    arch/x86_64/kernel/nmi.c:156: warning: statement with no effect
    kernel/resource.c:481: warning: ‘__check_region’ is deprecated (declared at kernel/resource.c:469)
    kernel/kmod.c: In function ‘____call_usermodehelper’:
    kernel/kmod.c:138: warning: statement with no effect
    kernel/intermodule.c:179: warning: ‘inter_module_register’ is deprecated (declared at kernel/intermodule.c:3
    kernel/intermodule.c:180: warning: ‘inter_module_unregister’ is deprecated (declared at kernel/intermodule.c:79)
    kernel/intermodule.c:182: warning: ‘inter_module_put’ is deprecated (declared at kernel/intermodule.c:160)

are you installing the kernel on a blank system or updating the SuSE kernel? if it's the latter then you should be able to install the kernel-sources from the SUSE 10.0 install disc(s). you can then copy the .config file over to your new sources file. that should give you a working kernel when you compile it.

iirc, those depracated messages mean that the configuration options you are using are outdated and have options that have been designed to replace them. you can try compiling without the deprecated modules and find the more recent version of them.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?