Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a fairly new user and just upgraded from version 2.4 to 2.6.13... here are a couple questions... 1) It seems to boot correctly, but when it tries to load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building Linux Kernel 2.6

I'm a fairly new user and just upgraded from version 2.4 to 2.6.13... here are a couple questions...

1) It seems to boot correctly, but when it tries to load the graphical logon screen, the monitor flashes a few times and then it defaults to the non-graphical logon. Did I not properly install my graphics driver when I compiled the kernel? I already had the proper NVIDIA graphics driver installed and working before I did this kernel build.

2) I've been reading a lot about kernel modules but don't quite understand them or how to use them. How do I know if I've created the need to install modules, and when would I need to add more?

Thanks!!

Banned
    The nvidia driver is a kernel module(meaning it's build to run against your kernel), since you've canged from kernel, you'll have to reinstall your nvidia driver to match your new kernel.

PS: kernel modules are those parts that aren't located in your kernel, but become part of it after booting...

Linux Engineer
    A kernel module is a driver that can be loaded on the fly. For that Linux uses the 'modprobe' program. Usually, your Linux installation contains a file listing all available modules. In that file, you can uncomment the modules you want to load, the file will be read at boot, and the uncommented lines will be executed - loading the modules.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info!! I will see how it works after I reinstall the NVIDIA drivers for the new kernel... Much appreciated!!