Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do u compile the 2.6.10-386 kernel in kubuntu and does the 2.6.10-386 kernel support bootsplashs and if it dont how do i make it support bootsplashs and how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compliling kernel/how??

how do u compile the 2.6.10-386 kernel in kubuntu and does the 2.6.10-386 kernel support bootsplashs and if it dont how do i make it support bootsplashs and how do i update the kernel to like 2.6.14

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    1) download the source for the new linux kernel that you wish to use and put it in /usr/src

2) rm /usr/src linux   this deletes the old symbolic link of linux to kernel2.6.whatever

3) cd /usr/src   go to this directory and stay there

4) ln -s linux linux-2.6.13-whatever   the last part of this is a variable, but the command creates a symbolic link to make things easier, it links the new kernel's folder to /usr/src/linux so you can just go there instead of going to the long version name of the folder

5) cd /usr/src/linux   change directories to this folder to make the kernel

6) make menuconfig    this opens up an ncurses based program for you to select all the kernel options you wish to use, when you are done exit and save your configuration

7) make && make modules_install    this compiles the kernel and modules that you included support for

8) cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.13-whatever   This copies the kernel image over to your /boot folder, where it is needed to be called by your boot loader

9)  cp .config /boot/config-2.6.13-whatever   this file is also needed in your /boot folder

10) edit either your /boot/grub/grub.conf, /boot/grub/menu.lst, or /boot/lilo/lilo.conf whichever you have to include the new kernel, named in /boot

11) restart your system and enjoy your own custom compiled kernel, must faster than any compiled for you!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    you call bootsplash with your bootloader, so check out the man pages for either grub.conf or lilo.conf...good luck on your distro

P.S. remember the values that I used when naming the kernel are variable so you will have to exchange them for your values, 2.6.10 or 2.6.14 or whatever the kernel you want to install is...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    Those steps are good, except you should not change the /usr/src/linux symlink! Linus has explained why.
    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/usr...x-symlink.html

Some very good info (actually the best) on compiling the kernel is located with the kernel itself. Make sure you read the README , that's what it's there for. Also look through some of the things in Documentation directory if they apply to you or your hardware.

Another way

genesus is right about everything, but since you use a Debian-based distro, you can always build the kernel and install it as a package, which is really the way to do it on Debian.

Let's say that you'll have to build some kernel-modules too (if you want 3d drivers, or wireless ones, etc.), but that is left has an exercice

First, you'll need those packages, so do:

Code:
    apt-get install build-essential debhelper devscripts dh-make module-assistant xserver-xorg kernel-package libncurses5-dev libqt3-mt-dev libxtst-dev xlibs-dev rpm bzip2 fakeroot
    Then you need to download a kernel!
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

And then:

Code:
    cd /usr/src
    $ tar jxf /path/to/linux-image-2.6.13.4.tar.bz2
    $ cd linux-2.6.13.4
    $ cp /boot/config-2.6.x-y-686 .config
    $ make menuconfig
      - enable Code maturity level options -> Select only drivers expected to compile cleanly
      - set Processor type and features -> Processor family (Pentium 4... or whatever)
      - disable Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> Support for frame buffer devices
      - under Cryptographic options, enable LZF compression algorithm
    $ make-kpkg clean
    $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-<suffix>" --revision "<revision>" --initrd kernel_image
    $ cd ..
    $ su
    # dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.13.4-<suffix>_<revision>_i386.deb
    This all come from that great guy: http://www.atworkonline.it/~bibe/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee