Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was upgrading Enterprise WS 4 kernel 2.6.9-5 to WS 4 Update 2 (Nahant) kernel 2.6.9-22 to try and fix some Xterm problems. The update went through fine and didn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

upgrade kernel 2.6.9-5 to 9-22 scriptlet failed

I was upgrading Enterprise WS 4 kernel 2.6.9-5 to WS 4 Update 2 (Nahant) kernel 2.6.9-22 to try and fix some Xterm problems. The update went through fine and didn't report any errors; but the upgrade.log showed the following regarding the upgrade

kernel 2.6.9-22
    error: %pre(Kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.i686)
    Scriptlet failed, exit status 255

It was the same for 22.ELsmp. What I noticed is that everything trying to upgrade something with i686 had the same scriptlet fail in the log, but I know the computer is a 686 and not a 386. What's more, uname -a and /etc/redhat-release does recognize that the version is WS 4 update 2 (Nahant) despite the fact that the old kernel remains. The option to boot new kernel doesn't even register in GRUB. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just Joined!
    I should probably also mention that I have several other WS 3 computers that got upgraded to Enterprise Work Station 4 and the kernel was updated without a problem.