Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I am new in the realm of linux programming but I am falling in the deep really fast. I need to start working with the scheduler in linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Programming sched.c

Hello everyone,

I am new in the realm of linux programming but I am falling in the deep really fast. I need to start working with the scheduler in linux for my PhD and I was wondering if I could ask a few questions on this forum.

I want to know if I can change the sched.c file and how to recompile the code to check if it works after I do that. Or if there is a way of having a driver to drive the sched.c file without changing the kernel. This means that I can have a file which creates fake processes and tries to schedule them using the sched.c code.

Thanking you in advance,

a newbie

Are you telling me you're in a doctoral course that entails advanced kernel hacking, but they never taught you to recompile a kernel? What kind of school is this?! There are some rather good kernel compilation guides, just google for them.

Just Joined!
    My Master's was in networks but that is besides the point. I got into this realm and I need to learn how to do it to continue.

More important than all is to learn how to make a kernel image that can be bootable with the least amount of modules so that I can start working on scheduling alone. Knowing how to make a basic kernel and how to recompile it is my main consern now.

I appreciate the help. I am already googling for information but I just wanted to ask here in case someone can provide me with some insight.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have a look at http://kernelnewbies.org/ . They have an article about scheduling in Linux as well: http://kernelnewbies.org/documents/schedule/ . I don't know if it is any help for you but I think it is a good starting point.
    I\'m so tired .....