Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have an account in a machine which is a remote one .. its a system for which i am not the super user. i ssh to that machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to build the kernel using SSH

hi,
    i have an account in a machine which is a remote one .. its a system for which i am not the super user. i ssh to that machine and one of my tasks is to build the kernel in the user directory.

i am able to make the modules but cannot install them as i am not the root. how can i build that kernel successfully and execute it ?

please help if u know the answer ....

jayanth.

That's what I do on my servers, on Debian. Using SSH, I build the kernel using fakeroot, being member of the src group, and then I install it as root (still by SSH).

There is no way around, you have to be root to install a kernel, or kernel modules (as far as I know).

Or you could gain root privileges with sudo. As root. with "visudo" you could set it so you just have permission to install kernel and kernel modules, nothing else. Still you have to be root to set that up. At one point or another, root is involved.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee