Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
That worked, and I was able to boot into the new kernel just fine. However, there is no sound, alsaconf can't even FIND my soundcard (i810) and my iwconfig settings ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

That worked, and I was able to boot into the new kernel just fine. However, there is no sound, alsaconf can't even FIND my soundcard (i810) and my iwconfig settings for wlan0 are gone.. So for now I am sticking with 2.6.10 I guess.

Just Joined!
    You'll have to reinstall ndiswrapper for that specific kernel kernel. And as for your sound, did you compile it into your kernel as a module? I hear it may cause problems if you build it into your kernel.

kbk
    Yes I did. I think I might just have my friend upgrade this for me.. Also, what about patching, is that any easier and would it save my settings??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    AFAIK just patching still requires a compile, so if anything it will just save download time =). Its quite easy to reinstall ndiswrapper for a new kernel though, just remove the old and install like you did before.

oz
    forum.guy
    I was thinking that Mepis allowed for simple stock kernel upgrade with apt-get. If so, that might be the easiest path for you if the stock kernel will do everything you want. I think they are up to the 2.6.15 version now, but I could be wrong.
    oz

kbk
    How do I upgrade it that way though? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. The biggest reason I want a new kernel is for PSP support..Since version 2.6.12 (which I had with KNOPPIX) didn't have it, I doubt 2.6.10 will..

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a Mepis HowTo that describes several ways to update and upgrade files, or your entire system. Once of these methods should work for you:

http://www.mepis.org/node/1324

Hope it helps...

ozar
    oz

kbk
    I tried using Kpackage and apt and after a little bit it stops because some of the packages can't be found...

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never used Kpackage, but always use apt-get instead anytime I've run Debian. It just seems to work, and work well, or at least it has for me. I think the apt-get option is at the bottom of the HowTo linky I posted if you want to try it.
    oz

kbk
    I did try it, and got the same results. It tells me 26.1 MB will be used after unpacking, do I want to continue and I say yes, then like 5 minutes later it just stops and says error some files could not be downloaded use apt-get update to fix this problem or apt-get --fix (I think that's it), and I tried both those and still got the same result.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast