Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
If you run: Code: apt-get update to refresh the package list... then you run: Code: apt-get install kernel-package-name to install the new kernel... apt-get should pickup on any dependencies. If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

If you run:

Code:
    apt-get update
    to refresh the package list... then you run:

Code:
    apt-get install kernel-package-name
    to install the new kernel... apt-get should pickup on any dependencies.

If this isn't working, it might be easier for you to install a later version of Mepis which would include a later kernel. I noticed earlier today on DistroWatch that a new Mepis release candidate has just been released. It appears that an "official" release is about to come out just anytime now, too.

If you don't want to have to go through all the setup process again, you could probably just make a backup of your /home directory then restore it once the new install has finished, or you might be able to bypass installing anything to the /home directory during the install leaving your current settings untouched.
    oz

kbk
    There is an upgrade option with Mepis, I saw it when I was installing this one. The command to install the kernel doesn't work, but I may have the package wrong, so I will check..

kbk
    I tried Synaptic also, which deleted all my current apps that I was upgrading. Since I thought that a KDE and GAIM update would work fine, I told it to go ahead and get rid of the stuff. Well now I have no desktop, I don't have K3B so I can't burn the .iso for the new version of Mepis.. I'm totally screwed, anything I can do?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    I don't have K3B so I can't burn the .iso for the new version of Mepis.. I'm totally screwed, anything I can do?
    Sure, if you have cdrecord still installed, just use it from the command line to burn your CD:

Code:
    cdrecord -v eject speed=8 dev=/dev/hdc imagename.iso
    ...where "speed" is the speed at which you want to burn the ISO, and "hdc" is the device you want to use to burn the ISO. My dvd and cdrom drives are at hdc and hdd, but your's may be elsewhere. Of course imagename.iso is the name of the file you are wanting to burn.

HTH

ozzar
    oz

kbk
    Thanks a ton .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3