Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Realtek 850 audio chip (using it with the omni-working snd-intel8xx kernel module). Have I also a S/PDIF output subdevice (listed with aplay -l, reachable with hw:0,4 in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Unhappy ALSA and S/PDIF output

I have a Realtek 850 audio chip (using it with the omni-working snd-intel8xx kernel module). Have I also a S/PDIF output subdevice (listed with aplay -l, reachable with hw:0,4 in ALSA naming convention).

How it can work? I spent last 12 hours to try to output any sound, but programs doesn't fails with errors, but no sound is outputted. My amplifier recognize the digital PCM port, but no signal.

I'm using an audio source with the same frequency of the S/PDIF chip (48000), but none can help me.

Anyone has some advice? I played also with asound.conf and asound.state configuration files, but no configuration was the challenge winner, so... I don't know what to do...

Maybe is the kernel module? Anyone can help me?
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

Just Joined!
    Hello,

If you are sure that the sound card driver is loaded in your system.
    Then you can run
    #aumix
    for increasing the volume or setting left or right speaker etc...
    If the kernel has not automatically installed the driver then u need to do it yourself, by looking into kernel configuration file for the driver.

then try to play sound file.
    I use 'mpg123' for playing mp3 files.

u have good understanding of the hardwares. Need to interrrupt you when i need some help

rajesh