Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok , simple enough question , how do I upgrade my kernel? I googled for this and found plenty of stuff on specific distros and whatnot.. But all I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrading the kernel * solved *

ok , simple enough question , how do I upgrade my kernel?

I googled for this and found plenty of stuff on specific distros and whatnot..

But all I have is a kernel that I downloaded from kernel.org and then compiled...

I'm running 2.6.14 and want to upgrade to the latest (2.6.15.4?) , is there a way to do this without having to download all the sources for the new kernel , go back through menuconfig and set all the options again...

I noticed a bunch of "patch" files on kernel.org site, are these a quick way to upgrade the kernel? if so how do I use them?

cheers

you can start by looking at this excellent kernel how-to that was just written by a new forum member.

But as for you question about recompiling. You can use make oldconfig to keep all your previous options.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...nel-2-6-a.html

this little excerpt is gentoo specific but I believe is also applicable

10. Advanced: Using your old kernel .config to configure a new one

It is sometimes possible to save time by re-using the configuration file from your old kernel when configuring the new one. Note that this is generally unsafe -- too many changes between every kernel release for this to be a reliable upgrade path.

The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from one Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made between gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be very small, so it is usually OK to use the following method. However, it is not appropriate to use it in the example used throughout this document: upgrading from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9. Too many changes between the official releases, and the method described below does not display enough context to the user, often resulting in the user running into problems because they disabled options that they really didn't want to.

To reuse your old .config, you simply need to copy it over and then run make oldconfig. In the following example, we take the configuration from gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and import it into gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2.

Code Listing 10.1: Reusing your old config

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r2
    # cp ../linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r1/.config .
    # make oldconfig

At this point, you may be asked to produce answers for configuration options which have changed between the two versions. Once you have done that, you can compile and install your kernel as normal, without having to go through the menuconfig configuration process.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    thanks , thats enabled me to upgrade the kernel and keep the options the same , although now I have another problem which I think will require another thread...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    no problem. If you could just edit your original title and put *SOLVED* in it so everybody knows that your question has been answered and it is a source of information for those with the same problem.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL