Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm hoping this is a pretty easy solution but I don't know. I upgraded to linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp the other day, and my Wake-on-LAN didn't work anymore. So i downloaded and built ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question e1000 module won't stay in kernel

I'm hoping this is a pretty easy solution but I don't know. I upgraded to linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp the other day, and my Wake-on-LAN didn't work anymore. So i downloaded and built the latest e1000 module from Intel. If I rmmod the existing e1000 module and insmod the new one with an absolute path, the computer will Wake on LAN next time I shut it down. But as soon as I start it back up, the module is no longer present in the kernel-that is, I have to rmmod and insmod again to make it Wake on the next shutdown.

How can I get my new module in /lib/modules/2.6.15-1-686-smp/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.ko to be inserted on boot?

It should be noted that during my startup I see a yellow asterisk followed by "Skipping already loaded module e1000". This has occured since the kernel upgrade, including before I tried to upgrade the module. Possibly related?

Thanks for any help!

Just Joined!
    Nevermind. Custom kernel to the rescue.

Still, I had to compile the kernel without the e1000 driver and then load the updated Intel one as a module. Seems the compiled-in driver was/is out of date... hopefully that will be rectified before too long.

Anyone know why that wouldn't have been fixed yet?

Just Joined!
    Must be nice! Man, I wish my WOL would work... I am trying to build a backup/file server, and WOL only works when I turn the system off by pushing the case's power button. I also use the e1000 module for my Intel Pro 1000mt adapters (I didn't use my onboard LAN). Suse 10 and I are not getting along right now...