Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've up graded my kernel from version 2.6.7 to 2.6.15. Suddenly some modules won't insmod correctly. I recompile the modules but get some warnings the warnings are basically CC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

upgrading modules from 2.6.7 to 2.6.15

Hello, I've up graded my kernel from version 2.6.7 to 2.6.15. Suddenly some modules won't insmod correctly. I recompile the modules but get some warnings

the warnings are basically

CC [M] /root/Desktop/kernel_driver/device_sram.o
    /root/Desktop/kernel_driver/device_sram.c: In function `device_ram_mmap':
    /root/Desktop/kernel_driver/device_sram.c:520: warning: implicit declaration
    of function `remap_page_range'
    /root/Desktop/kernel_driver/serial_io.c: In function `enable_uarts':
    /root/Desktop/kernel_driver/serial_io.c:292: warning: implicit declaration
    of function `register_serial'
    /root/Desktop/kernel_driver/serial_io.c: In function `disable_uarts':
    /root/Desktop/kernel_driver/serial_io.c:318: warning: implicit declaration
    of function `unregister_serial'

when I insmod I get
    development:~# insmod Desktop/kernel_driver/ioboard.ko
    insmod: error inserting 'Desktop/kernel_driver/ioboard.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module.

I might be misunderstanding this but from reading it seems that the above functions were dropped from 2.6.13 onward, if so can anyone advise on a work round? If not can any tell me what I need to do to get it to complile.
    Thanks

If i didn't know better, i would say that you have built some options in the kernel as modules, rather than built-in.

By any chance, did you use the exact same configuration files (or just configuration) for both kernels. That may have undone your good work.

I suggest booting with a generic kernel, figuring out what hardware needs to be supported, and filling in those options in the kernel config. Set most things as built-it rather than modules.

Btw, the latest kernel is 2.6.15.*. I suggest using a later version kernel, but it's entirely up to you.

Good luck with your kernel
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--