Find the answer to your Linux question:
A few different systems keep getting this error on bootup: i810_rng: RNG not detected When I try to inmod or modprobe the module(currently in /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char called i810_rng.o.gz) I get this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

2.4.22 gets i810_rng not found on multiple systems

A few different systems keep getting this error on bootup:
    i810_rng: RNG not detected
    When I try to inmod or modprobe the module(currently in /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char called i810_rng.o.gz)
    I get this output:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/i810_rng.o.gz
    /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/i810_rng.o.gz: init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/i810_rng.o.gz
    ...snip

Usually I get this when I am trying to insmod a driver for something that I don't have physically installed. Is that the case here? If so, then is there someone familiar enough with Slackware to know where in the rc scripts this insmod, or modprobe is occuring?

A similar issue with a different PC where it can't find the joystick that it is trying to install. Joystick? I have used grep -i 'i810_rng'(or whatever the module is) /etc/rc.d/* to try and locate the where the system is trying to autoload the offending module, but the only thing that it comes up with is a commented out part of /etc/rc.d/rc.modules where it shouldn't be trying to load it in the first place.
    Any help, helps.
    AD

Just Joined!

Solution

I can't get your sound card to work (hell, I can't even get my sound card to work) but I can get rid of that annoying message and help your system boot faster. Just edit your /etc/hotplug/blacklist file and add the name i810_rng to the sound or audio or whatever it is called section.

This will at least get rid of your error messages.

Wayne

Linux Engineer
    I did the same on my Slackware setup as wpetheri suggested. Dunno quite what the system was trying to do on bootup but my sound works fine.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    WLAC!
    Thanks