Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I've taken the plunge and compiled the 2.6 Kernel. And recompiled it. Again, and again, and again. The kernel *does* boot, but for whatever reason I can't get into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with 2.6.2 kernel in text mode/booting

Alright, I've taken the plunge and compiled the 2.6 Kernel. And recompiled it. Again, and again, and again. The kernel *does* boot, but for whatever reason I can't get into any terminals outside of X. I'm running Mandrake 9.2... and after I select the 2.6.2 kernel in the LILO bootloader, the screen goes blank until X starts and the login screen comes up. Ctrl+Alt+F1 yields a garbled screen, I can't see any text at all.

I have read the post-halloween document. I have enabled "y" to CONFIG_VT, CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE, CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE, CONFIG_INPUT, and even made sure that fonts are configured (CONFIG_FONTS=y, CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y, CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y). I've also tried setting vga=normal in /etc/lilo.conf with no avail.

I've pretty much run out of ideas. I would settle for this, except that 1) it's bugging me that I can't get it to work, and 2) If X ever craps out I'm screwed. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Linux Guru
    Did you compile any kind of framebuffer support at all? If so, try disabling it and try again.

Just Joined!

Still no success

Device Drivers > Graphics Support > Support for frame buffer devices

Tried disabling it, enableing it and toggling VGA 16-color/VESA each on and off, also ATI Mach64 as module (I have Mach64 graphics chipset), as well as Framebuffer Console support. None which seem to be working. I still have a few combinations yet to try, though.

Just Joined!

Nearly there

Well, I have the console working in text mode now, and X still works. I had to enable frame buffer support for my Mach64 chipset, as well as modularly compile in console framebuffer support. Then I changed vga=normal in lilo.conf, and things work again, even though they're in 80x25. At least it functions. I wonder if my previous config of vga=778 was somehow sending a clock signal too high or low for the monitor... I'll have to swap monitors for one that will alert me to such a thing and try it.