Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, We are designing a handheld television receiver for a future market. We are using Linux-2.6.11 OS in our Design. We are in the final stage. In our hardware we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem in loading the CODEC Module

Hi,
    We are designing a handheld television receiver for a future market. We are using Linux-2.6.11 OS in our Design. We are in the final stage. In our hardware we are using Phillips UDA1341 Audio CODEC. For this CODEC we have written a driver which is using ALSA Architecture. The Driver is compiling successfully but when I am loading it itís showing ĎSome UNKNOWN Symbolsí. These all symbols are declared in the pcm.h and core.h(header files for ALSA architecture)header file and I have included the file in the driver. and the files(both pcm.h, core.h and pcm.c, init.c)are there in the Kernel.
    Do let me know what is the problem. Why itís not loading the module?
    Please help me out...

nitin
    Tata Elxsi Ltd.

I have no idea about your problem...
    But I try:

The problem is not produced by a missed include. It is produced in the linking stage. So, the symbols are defined and declared but a module is linked only against the kernel, so your kernel doesn't define (or exported) that symbols.

One of the things that can lead to this error is that you need to load a previous module (something like ALSA-core or similar) that provides these symbols. This is similar when you want to load a usb driver. The usb-core driver is needed to be loaded before.

HTH

Regards

Just Joined!
    I am loading it itís showing ĎSome UNKNOWN Symbolsí.
    I don't know your compilation options, see the strip options is specified or not. Or you can do
    Code:
    file module_obj_name
    and see that the obj is striped or not.

see the man page of strip (strip - Discard symbols from object files.)

If you already did this then see for module dependency.

May this will help you

regards
    Rakesh..