Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi friends I want to learn how linux works, how its kernel works.I have been reading books about windows because i want to learn how an OS works.It will be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

starting linux's source code and kernel

Hi friends
    I want to learn how linux works, how its kernel works.I have been reading books about windows because i want to learn how an OS works.It will be very useful and more easy to learn it by open source linux.I have some questions

1-)I am beginner.Which linux must i install my notebook(AMD 64 bit Athlon) to learn.I want to install it by wmware.What do you advice me?Which version?

2-)This question is very important for me.I said i want to install linux because i am interest with its source codes.Do all linux systems install with its source code.If not which of them have include its source codes?I must install it with source codes.

3-)I have looked debian site for downloading it.But it seems there are 14 .iso file.Is this true?Must i download both 14 cd image?Do i need all of them?Can you give me please any information about that.(Is debian include source codes)

4-)General advices:What must my roadmap be?What do you advice me general.

I am looking for your answers

Thanks.

1-)I am beginner.Which linux must i install my notebook(AMD 64 bit Athlon) to learn.I want to install it by wmware.What do you advice me?Which version?
    The distro you most like. There is not a deep difference among distributions about the kernel source code. Try to install the most recent one.
    2-)This question is very important for me.I said i want to install linux because i am interest with its source codes.Do all linux systems install with its source code.If not which of them have include its source codes?I must install it with source codes.
    Every distribution has to provide the source code for their systems. Maybe it is not include in the stock installation, but it will be in the CD set or in the web page. My advice: use the vanilla kernel to learn about linux (www.kernel.org)

3-)I have looked debian site for downloading it.But it seems there are 14 .iso file.Is this true?Must i download both 14 cd image?Do i need all of them?Can you give me please any information about that.(Is debian include source codes)
    I'm not suere, but probably only 3 or 4 CD's are really required. The other ones will contain additional software. (You can try other distros as well...)

4-)General advices:What must my roadmap be?What do you advice me general.
    Carefully read books like "Understanding the Linux Kernel" "Linux Device Drivers" or "Linux Kernel Development". Take a look at the source code. If you have a background in C, make some changes to the source code. Write and compile the examples provided with that books.... and ask if you have questions

Just Joined!
    thank you fernape
    Good works...

Just Joined!
    If you want to learn how it works, I really advise you to go with Gentoo. It is NOT suited for oblivious beginners, but you can follow the handbook to get started with it. The good thing about Gentoo for learning is that you have to set it up from scratch. The best thing one could compare Gentoo's installation to is the upcoming game Spore (by Electronic Arts). You start with a single-celled lifeform (the install CD), and you get to completely customise EVERYTHING, evolving all the way up to a Kardashev-II civilisation (completely customised and fully operational system with everything you could possibly need). You start with partitioning your hard drive(s), installing filesystems on those partitions, etcetera. The next step is to download and uncompress a portage snapshot, and from there, you can customise everything (and I mean everything). You compile your kernel, manually edit your fstab, etcetera.

Just trying to install Gentoo on a 3GB hard drive taught me a LOT about Linux and the way it works on a lower level. Gentoo's package manager, Portage, builds every program from source to optimise it for your preferences and hardware. Of course, you can then look at this source code, and modify it at will so long as the license permits.

I have to concur with fernape: the vanilla-sources are the best to learn from as they're the sources to the generic, unpatched kernel, which is not optimised for the distro. This should give you the best understanding of how any basic Linux distro interfaces with the hardware.