Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey everyone this is my first post on the linux forums and yes i know almost nuthing about linux so be gentle : ) i don't code, program, or anything, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Windows compatibility 'winux kernel'

hey everyone this is my first post on the linux forums and yes i know almost nuthing about linux so be gentle : )

i don't code, program, or anything, so please bear with me. i wanted to know if it was possible to reconstruct the linux kernel to allow the use of windows programs as well as linux programs..... or atleast make it so that u don't have to use the terminal (VERY SCARY PLACE FOR NOOBS) to install software not found in the package manager installs. i want to be able to double click a file, whether it be a .deb or .rpm and be able to install like a windoze computer... linux is great untill u have to install something via terminal and the password doesn't work.... i know i am probobly talking about something that everybody already knows is impossible but see i hate windows (who doesn't) and can't afford a mac or else i would buy one. i want to be able to run all my programs without a hitch (again, who doesn't) on something that will have a hard time getting viruses but will run linux programs and everything (without converting them from rpm to deb.... never figured that one out yet)

i got another virus a week or two ago and had to reinstall for about the 5th time this year. the thing is, i don't have enough time to learn how to properly program an entire operating system (i am a musician) and would loveto be able to offer the world an open source os that works like windoze, runs programs like windoze, is secure like linux/unix and can run linux progs. like i say, if this aint possible, just let me know....

and if it isn't then how about reverse engineering the kernel?? rebuild it and distribute it freely??? i know there could be some legal problems with that.... but that's how linux was born, right???

listen i may be nuts..... but if anything of this type is possible please contact me...... (reply!!!) i would be willing to help organize the developement of such an os aswell as test..... i have heard of reactos, wine, crossover, cedega, win4lin and such, but none of them are quite right. please reply and if this at all possible or conceivable, please sasy so!!!! i want this to work, i am an ambitious person, just PLEASE SPEAK UP and say something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grama
    i don't code, program, or anything, so please bear with me. i wanted to know if it was possible to reconstruct the linux kernel to allow the use of windows programs as well as linux programs.....
    No, this isn't possible nor is it feasible. Microsoft Windows is a closed-source operating system that operates using closed-source code that cannot legally be seen or used without Microsoft's expressed written consent, and they are very careful about where they give that consent.

Not to mention that most Linux users don't want to run Microsoft Windows programs in Linux anyway, and the ones that do use go-between software like WINE or Cedega. Linux is NOT Microsoft Windows and it hopefully never will be.

Please read this thread and the article that is linked within:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...explained.html

or atleast make it so that u don't have to use the terminal (VERY SCARY PLACE FOR NOOBS) to install software not found in the package manager installs.
    This is a common fear, and a common request. I refer you once again to the above thread.

i want to be able to double click a file, whether it be a .deb or .rpm and be able to install like a windoze computer...
    If you like the way Microsoft Windows works, use it. There's no shame in using what's comfortable for you.

i got another virus a week or two ago and had to reinstall for about the 5th time this year. the thing is, i don't have enough time to learn how to properly program an entire operating system...
    Then you shouldn't try Linux, end of story. Linux is very different from Microsoft Windows in the way it operates and even the way it is developed. If you don't have the time to properly sit down and learn something completely new to you, don't. You'll just end up frustrated and you won't want to give it a real chance.

and if it isn't then how about reverse engineering the kernel?? rebuild it and distribute it freely??? i know there could be some legal problems with that.... but that's how linux was born, right???
    No and no. Linux was created with completely original code by Linus Torvalds and distributed freely. Microsoft's kernel is closed-source and heavily legally guarded. I doubt anyone in the Linux community is even interested in looking at the kernel code for Windows because most of us are convinced Linux is far superior and therefore could not learn anything useful from it.

As you are new to Linux, I recommend some reading. On top of the above thread, please read this useful thread that I recommend to all new users:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

It answers a lot of the most common questions.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants