Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am not sure this topic belongs here so if not, an moderator may kindly move it. My problem is I am trying to install the Nvidia driver however when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Kernel Source

I am not sure this topic belongs here so if not, an moderator may kindly move it. My problem is I am trying to install the Nvidia driver however when I try to it tells me I do not have the kernel-source installed. However, when I look in "/usr/src" sure enough, all the source of my kernel is there. Can anyone help me in this situation?

The NVidia installer tries to find the sources at /usr/src/linux. The final part of the path is a link to your actual kernel source directory (probably something like linux-2.6.15). Check this out.

On the other hand, I think that the installer has an option to specify the kernel source directory instead of trust in the default value.

And the last one... which distro are you using? Often, some distros install the kernel-headers and not the entire kernel source in a stock installation.

Regards

try option --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux

Banned
    Hey thanks guys. I will try these methods and report back on the succes or failure.

Banned
    Alright, the situation is the Nvidia driver still cannot find the kernel source which is located in "usr/src/kernels". Is there a way that I can make the Nvidia driver search for the soruce in that directory?

Just Joined!
    What distro are you using?

Peace V

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cuiq
    What distro are you using?
    Fedora Core 5

--kernel-source-path /usr/src/kernel.x.x.x.... just give him the link to kernel ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sIn_mAfIje
    --kernel-source-path /usr/src/kernel.x.x.x.... just give him the link to kernel ...
    So when I am in runlevel3 I just type "--kernel-source-path /usr/src/kernel" and that will direct the nvidia driver to my kernels source?

yap after --kernel-source-path give him the path to your kernel source files