Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I just have a simple question. On common distros, when we insert a usb pen on the computer, the kernel loads automatically the "sd_mod" and "usb_storage" modules to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sd_mod and usb_storage kernel modules

Hi there.

I just have a simple question. On common distros, when we insert a usb pen on the computer, the kernel loads automatically the "sd_mod" and "usb_storage" modules to handle correctly this sort of device.
    My question is, is this actually done by the kernel, ou by an external script, perhaps after processing udev rules?
    Meaning, does the kernel automatically recognizes the device and loads those modules automatically, or is some sort of script outside the kernel that detects this kind of device and "modprobes" these modules into the kernel?

Thank you

The modprobe utility knows which modules needs to be loaded as dependencies for the required module. This is done by running the depmod command previously. This command creates something like a script with the proper dependencies.

The module you pointed requires some symbols that were exported by the modules sd_mod and usb_storage with EXPORT_GPL. This information is the source for the tree dependency created by depmod.

Regards