Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, In my project i want to send an event from kernel module to user space process whenever the condition in the kernel module has satisfied. Presently i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to send an event from kernel module to user space process

Hi all,
    In my project i want to send an event from kernel module to user space process whenever the condition in the kernel module has satisfied. Presently i am using signals for this. But there are only two user defined signals SIGUSR1 , SIGUSR2 from this we can have only two conditions to be satisfied. suppose if i have more no. of conditions what i have to do. My query is Can i send an events from kernel module to user space and also what is the api for sending the events from kernel module to user space

Just Joined!
    Hi,

You know signals are used to notify a process of a particular event and provide an asynchronous form of notification. But in asynchronous I/O mechanism you have only one signal per process. If we have more descriptors for asynchronous I/O, we don't know which descriptor the signal corresponds to when the signal is delivered.

Instead, you can use polling mechanism, synchronous form of notification, (nonblocking I/O, wait for some event on a file descriptor) - poll(), select() (I/O multiplexing).

But you have to understand differences between synchronous and asynchronous techniques.