Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been using Linux for my online web server (run level 3) for several years, and I have noticed that the Operating System by itself consumes all the RAM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux, an Operating System with Memory Leaks?

Hi,

I've been using Linux for my online web server (run level 3) for several years, and I have noticed that the Operating System by itself consumes all the RAM memory of the server, no matter how much it has!

The moment I reboot the server the free memory is quite high, but it starts immediately to decrease little by little, even if no applications are running! The consecuence is that in a matter of hours or days, 99% of the 500Mb or 1Gb of RAM is used up!

I have tried to fix this by trying different distros, and by updating packages, but with no success. One of the servers had RedHat 9 with 1Gb, the other two had Centos (4.1 and 4.3) with 500Mb

So it seems to be a general issue with Linux, and I expect you all have noticed it (or can confirm it now by running 'free' from time to time after rebooting).

Is there any way to fix this?
    I would appreciate very much any hints or help.

Linux treats RAM in a different way than Windows.
    Linux has that memory cached for application usage and it is not using it. So it's normal to see 90% of the RAM used.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by czamora
    The moment I reboot the server the free memory is quite high, but it starts immediately to decrease little by little, even if no applications are running! The consecuence is that in a matter of hours or days, 99% of the 500Mb or 1Gb of RAM is used up!
    Well, I'm sure that you have some applications running... it is a server, right?
    As Juan Pablo said, Linux makes an intensive use of cache features. If you want a test, try to copy a CD or DVD to your hard disk and monitor your ram memory...

Is there any way to fix this?
    AFAIK no. But in 2.6 kernels, you can play with
    Code:
    /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    to change the way your applications request memory...

Best regards

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    This article explains a lot about Linux memory management. Hopefully it will clear up your misconception that Linux is full of memory leaks.

Just Joined!
    Ok, thanks, that explains it clearly.
    I'm afraid I'm a newbie for lots of areas around linux even though I have been using it in my servers for years.
    The worrying thing is that people in the technical support for the two hosting companies I have used didn't know about this either!

Linux Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks, that explains it clearly.
    I'm afraid I'm a newbie for lots of areas around linux even though I have been using it in my servers for years.
    The worrying thing is that people in the technical support for the two hosting companies I have used didn't know about this either!
    That's typical and par for the course nowadays.